THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA
The Surface and Marine Transport Regulatory Authority (SUMATRA) is a Government Regulatory Authority established by the Surface and Marine Transport Regulatory Authority Act, CAP 413. SUMATRA’s role is to regulate, promote and facilitate availability of efficient, safe, quality and reliable transport services in the Surface and Marine Transport sub-sectors through competitive and fair trade practices.
SUMATRA is an equal opportunity employer and it intends to recruit qualified, competent, dynamic and self-motivated Tanzanian to fill the following vacant Management employee’s position during the financial year 2014/2015:
1.0 DIRECTOR OF ROAD TRANSPORT REGULATION (Head Office) - 1 Post - REF No: R.801
Director of Road Transport Regulation reports to the Director General
1.1 Duties and Responsibilities
i) To advise the Director General on road transport regulation;
ii) To manage inspections and licensing of public and freight carriage vehicles;
iii) To ensure safety and environmental protection against emissions from public transport service and cargo carriage vehicles;
iv) To provide leadership in developing technical, safety and environmental protection regulations;
v) To lead the development and enforcement of standards for quality public transport service and cargo carriage vehicles;
vi) To work closely with service providers and customers to get feedback and inputs for tariffs, planning routes and scheduling delivery times;
vii) To manage divisional risk register, accidents investigations and promote reliable means of road transport in collaboration with other stakeholders;
viii) To contribute and manage the strategic, business planning and budgeting process of the Authority;
ix) To plan and advise on the means of improving road transport service to ease congestion in urban areas and availability of service to rural areas;
x) To manage employees performance agreements/contracts within the division in consultation with respective Managers;
xi) To manage annual performance appraisals of divisional employees and provide feedback as appropriate; and
xii) To perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Director General.
1.2 Minimum qualifications and Requirements:
· Master Degree in Transport Management, Transport Planning, Logistics, Business Administration , Economics, Engineering (Automobile, Mechanical, Electro Mechanical Techniques) or its equivalent;
· Bachelor Degree in Engineering (Automobile, Mechanical or Electro Mechanical Techniques) or its equivalent;
· At least ten (10) years of working experience, five (5) years of which must be at senior managerial position in a reputable institution (preferably a road transport service, automobiles or logistics); and
· Reliable experience in automobiles inspections and road safety practices will be added advantages.
2.0 Candidates’ Attributes for the Above Vacant Position to be filled:
All Candidates must:
· Demonstrate highest degree of integrity and professionalism;
· Possess good communication, leadership and interpersonal skills;
· Demonstrate competence in budgeting, setting performance indicators, monitoring and performance appraisals;
· Be self-driven and capable of working with minimal supervision;
· Be capable of delivering excellent results while working under pressure with tight schedules and deadlines;
· Possess basic knowledge in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) application, such as; Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint Access, Outlook etc.
3.0 TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Successful candidates will be employed on 5-Years Contract including six (6) months of probation. The contract is renewable, subject to the employee’s satisfactory performance.
Attractive remuneration package will be offered to a successful candidate.
5.0 MODE OF APPLICATION
Applications should be on APPLICANTS’ HANDWRITING indicating the REFERENCE NUMBER (Ref. No.) of the application, accompanied with DETAILED CURRICULUM VITAE (CV) providing NAMES, POSITIONS and detailed CONTACTS OF THREE (3) RELIABLE REFEREES, together with copies of relevant CERTIFICATES and TRANSCRIPTS.
Application letter and the envelope should bear the Ref. No. of the post applied. APPLICATIONS WITHOUT REF. NO. AND THOSE RECEIVED BY EMAIL WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Applications with statement/Provisional results or Statements of Results from the Issuing Authority (e.g. NECTA, University, College) where the Certificates have already been issued will not be considered, thus, need not to apply.
6.0 DEADLINE FOR RECEIVING APPLICATION
Application should be received IN ENVELOPE to the address below NOT LATER THAN THURSDAY, 25TH JANUARY, 2015 AT 1700 HRS. Any application received after the due date will not be considered.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for Interview.
SUMATRA HEAD OFFICE,
ALI HASSAN MWINYI RD/NKOMO ST.
P. O. BOX 3093,
DAR ES SALAAM.
This advertisement is also available online. Please visit www.sumatra.or.tz